mandag 2. februar 2009

On disability; mark I

When reading literature on disability and definitions surrounding the state, I find many interesting positions. Clearly our Western ideology of perfection relative to a perceived normality as a human being has disabled a vast number of people. By this I do not limit the understanding to what we "normally" define as disabled. Still biologigal and physiological variances are often diagnosed as disabilities whether they represent any functional disadvantage or not.

It's late at night now, so I need to reflect more upon the various approaches to the theme. But I am certain even at this point that a social approach which enlightens the barriers produced by our social structure represents a stance for further work on my behalf. Still, I am equally certain that we as "disabled" need to address our challenges in a motivating manner to gain understanding and respect.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar